It was placed under trustees appointed
by the British colonial government of Cape Province in
1855 and was moved into the present building in 1897.
From then until 1930 it shared facilities with the South
African National Gallery
and until 1966 it included the collections now held
separately at the South African Cultural History Museum,
also in Cape Town. The South African Museum now owns and
displays numerous objects connected with zoology and
marine biology, geology and palaeontology, archaeology
and ethnography (physical anthropology). Its exhibits on
South Africa in particular include rock paintings and
other artefacts made by the San,
the nomadic hunter-gatherers formerly known as Bushmen.
The museum also contains a planetarium and, in its
Printing Gallery, a special collection on the history of
are also Museums at Cape Town University).
Cape Town, University of,
institution of higher learning located in Rondebosch,
Founded in 1829 through local Church and
private effort as the South African College, the
University of Cape Town was incorporated as an
independent university in 1918. An autonomous
institution, it receives roughly 70 per cent of its
funding from the state. The governing bodies consist of
the University Council and the University Senate.
Student enrolment stood at roughly 13,000 in 1992;
limited residential facilities are provided for academic
staff and about 2,200 students. The language of
instruction is English.
The university has faculties in arts,
commerce, education, engineering, fine art and
architecture, law, medicine, music, science, social
science, and humanities.
Additional facilities affiliated with
the university include the University Library,
incorporating the J. W. Jagger Library, Brand van Zyl
Law Library, and W. H. Bell Music Library. Roughly 20
research units and groups are also associated, including
the Institute of Oceanography, Freshwater Research Unit,
and Percy Fitzpatrick Institute of African Ornithology.
There are also a number of museums such as the Irma
Stern Museum, with its fine art collection, the
Archaeological Museum, and the P. A. Wagner Museum of
Mineralogy and Geology.
Western Cape, University of the,
institution of higher
Town, South Africa.
The university, which is situated just outside Cape
Town, was founded in 1960 to provide higher education
initially for non-white students in Western
Cape Province but is
now open to all students. It is on a single-campus site,
with teaching, residential, and administrative buildings
erected in the past 40 odd years. There are more than 5,000
students; 20 per cent are postgraduates, many of them
studying on evening courses for degrees and diplomas.
There are eight faculties: arts, community and health
sciences, dentistry, economics and management sciences,
education, law, science, and theology. Within them they
offer a wide range of first degrees in all major
The universityís postgraduate research
programme is based on research institutes. A notable
centre is the Institute for Social Development and
others are the Institute for Historical Research, the
Institute for Counselling, and the Institute for Small
Business, which provides training, consultancy, and
In 1983 the university opened the
Gold Fields Science and Mathematics Resource Centre to
improve the quality of education in natural sciences and
mathematics in schools. This led to outreach services to
schools and the establishment of a teachersí resource
centre. The library, which has a collection of over
200,000 books and subscribes to 600 periodicals, has
1,800 student places.